How to run the server?

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Jan 3 12:11:07 UTC 2014

Hi Naveen

The startup scripts vary a lot between different distributions and
operating systems, eg dhcpd can run on linux (ubuntu, debian, redhat,
centos, etc), bsd, solaris, hpux, aix, etc. It is left to the
distributions to add whatever config and startup scripts are used on that
operating system.

So to make this work you would typically install the distribution dhcpd
package and make a copy of the various startup files, and so on. Then
remove the package amnd copy the startup scripts back into place, or
overwrite the executable with your newly compiled version. Some
distributions may put files, eg dhcpd.leases and dhcpd.conf in non-default
directories so you may need to tweak the startup scripts or build
commands.

Using your own compiled version of dhcpd is not for the faint hearted,
certainly it is easier to start with the standard distribution package and
get things working. Then if you need a feature in a new version see if
pre-built packages are available, if not then build and install your own.

regards,
-glenn