How to restrict Windows XP DHCP clients to a specific subnet?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Feb 14 19:51:56 UTC 2014

On 02/14/2014 07:25 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Sten Carlsen <stenc at s-carlsen.dk> wrote:
>
>> They are, to my knowledge and experience, independent.
>>
>> I.e. you make the allow/deny setup for each, both as described.
>
> I think the question was more ...
> If the class allow/deny statements mean that a client should be denied and the host (known host) allow/deny statements mean that it should be allowed (or vice versa), which one takes effect ? One says allow, the other says deny, one has to lose.

I think y'all are making this too complicated. :)  In the case of
wanting to allow only a certain thing (whether class or known hosts)
it's simple. Anything not allowed is denied. There is no reason to mix
allow and deny statements there.

If you want to deny some things, but allow everything else, put the deny
statements in. Everything else will be allowed.

Or put more simply, if you are mixing allow and deny statements in the
same stanza you are almost certainly doing it wrong.

hope this helps,

Doug