Pool independent GI Address

Stephan Sanders stephan at sanders.koeln
Mon Dec 15 19:56:06 UTC 2014

Hi Simon and Niall,

"Simon Hobson" <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Domain is not a sensible description of an entity in this context -
> as Niall has pointed out, we have no idea what you mean by it. Please
> stick to standard terminology and things might go a bit better !

I will try to explain it complete.

Each LAN-segment (>1000 sites) terminates on a router with its own
dhcp-relay.
on this interface are configured two IP addresses from different
subnets. Its not a cisco, but on a cisco it will be configured as
described from you:
>   ip address 10.10.1.1 255.255.255.248
>   ip address 10.11.1.1 255.255.255.248 secondary

On this router the dhcp-relay is configured for two different
dhcp-servers.
Limitation in this release is the definition of only one GI Address for
both targets.
So the GI IP for the relayed packets is in this case 10.10.1.1 for both
servers.

The router / dhcp relay has a routed connection to both dhcp-server.
Both servers will receive the discover from 10.10.1.1. Server A has a
pool 10.10.1.0/29.
Server B has only 10.11.1.1/29.

Both servers can't use the same pools due different routing issues.

Thats the reason why my intention was to use the option 82 for the
poolselection independent
from the GI-address.

Sorry for confusing you. ;-)

BR