DHCP client state if rebooted when local DHCPD server is offline?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Aug 20 05:40:59 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-08-14 at 12:28 -0700, terrygalant.lists at fastest.cc wrote:
> I fixed that by disabling offloading on that interface
>
> 	ethtool -K eth1 gro off
> 	ethtool --offload  eth0  rx off  tx off
> 	ethtool -K eth0 gso off

Just FYI: You will typically see bad checksums on outgoing packets when
using checksum offloading, since the field is filled out by the NIC
after the kernel lets go of it. If you were looking at the other end you
would probably see the correct checksum.

If the server has no problems with the load the just keep it off, but
what you saw in tcpdump isn't a problem as such.

As for the original question: You will get 100% resiliency on adress
assignment if using statically configured addresses and skip DHCP. If
you don't want statically configured addresses then a pair of DHCP
servers in failover is quite resilient.

--
Peter