Multiple ACK Issue

jobewan jobewan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 17:48:45 UTC 2014

     In our environment, multiple ACKs are causing an issue.  We have
our servers setup in 2 different geographic regions, and there is a DHCP
proxy in-line near the client site.  The issue is that the anti-spoofing
mechanism in the dhcp-proxy always picks up on the 1st ack to make it
back, which is always going to be 'Server A' (due to the latency b/t the
regions); although 'Server B' is sending the offer.  This in turn causes
issues for the client that is wanting an IP address from Server B.

Is the double ACK an expected behavior on a reboot?  The RFC on 3.1 says
"If the client already knows its address, some steps may be omitted",
which indicates that this should potentially follow the process noted in
3.2 (showing both servers sending an ACK). Although, during a reboot,
the client doesn't know it's ip address and follows a simple DORA which
would indicate it would use the process in 3.1 (meaning only 1 server
sends an ACK)

(also, sorry for the double post, It appeared that my initial mail was
caught by a spamfilter).

- Joey D.