Setting option 252

Andrew Wood andrew at perpetualmotion.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 12:44:04 UTC 2013

Is it possible with ISC DHCPD to set option 252 to give a PAC file to a
client to set a web proxy server? I can find some examples of it online
yet I cannot get it to work with version 4.2 by setting this in the
global section of dhcpd.conf:

option web-proxy code 252 = text;

and this in the subnet section:

option web-proxy "http://192.168.100.254/pacvl2.pac\000";

Why has an official option to do this never been added to the DHCP
standard. There are loads of offical options defined in the RFCs for
setting all manner of things, a lot of which Im sure 99% of people are
never going to use these days yet something like setting an HTTP/HTTPS
proxy cant be done exept for an unofficial Microsoft kludge which is not
supported by all clients or servers. Surely these days this has got to
be one of the more common requirements. For example we run a public Wifi
network behind a proxy and need to be able to set HTTPS traffic to be
CONNECT tunnelled through it as interception can only be done for
ordinary HTTP. As its BYOD we cannot be manually configuring everyones
phone/tablet/laptop!

Has this ever been proposed to the IETF does anyone know?