"option netbios-node-type 2" being ignored by macs

Tim Cantin tcantin at wellesley.edu
Wed Nov 13 14:39:48 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

We're running Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.5-RedHat.
We're having a widespread issue of many of our macs broadcasting netbios
name server lookups, ignoring our global setting (option
netbios-node-type 2). Student macs appear to be OK, and a vanilla mac as
well... but once it has our image on it, this happens. Short of running
around pummelling those macs into submission with manual fixes (because
we don't remotely manage them... that's another problem, but let's not
go there right now) - which is to disable netbiosd, has anyone ever
dealt with this before and if so is there anything you know of that can
be done to alleviate the problem? We're about to go chop nbns off at the
knees on our NAC server if we can, but if these macs were behaving in
the first place it would be a cleaner solution. Is it possible there's a
compatibility issue between ISC dhcpd and Apple's dhcp client such that
they ignore the netbios-node-type setting?

Thank you

--
Tim Cantin, Network Engineer, Systems and Networks Support
Wellesley College, Library and Technology Services