Can signature analysis of DHCP client behaviour identify WinXP clients?

Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com
Mon Nov 11 13:27:49 UTC 2013

> I'm trying to chase down the residual WinXP boxes on our campus,
> and wonder whether signature analysis of DHCP requests can help.

DHCP fingerprinting based on DHCPv4 options, both their presence
and their order, proved to be surprinsingly effective and much
less intrusive than scanning.

For example, XP SP3 seems to always request these options, in
exactly this order: 1,15,3,6,44,46,47,31,33,249,43

Your mileage may vary, but it's worth trying.

/JF