dhcpd creating corrupt DNS entries via DDNS

Neff, Glen glen.neff at emc.com
Fri May 31 15:33:34 UTC 2013

> > In authoring the script, it was written with the unfortunate assumption that since it was dumping forward records already stored and accepted by BIND (dig @<authoritative resolver> -t AXFR <forward zone>), that I didn't need to cleanse the data to build the reverse.  Well, "cat\032/etc/FRIENDLYHOSTNAME.hop.usd.lab.emc.com" broke that process & assumption.  That's how I knew.
> Eep.   I think you want to make that script bulletproof with respect to exciting data.   I guess you can do it as easily in the server as the script, but I suspect the tools you have available in the script are more flexible.

I intend to do both.  I'll incorporate something similar to Denis Laventure's suggestion in my dhcpd config.  I'll also add a routine to the script that builds our reverse zones that rejects & advises of non-friendly hostnames in forward records.

-G

/*
 * Glen R. J. Neff
 * USD Lab Operations Infrastructure Team
 * glen.neff at emc.com
 *
 * EMC^2 == E^2
 */