static IP from LDAP with Option 82.

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Wed May 29 06:24:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, 29 May 2013, matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have dhcpd (4.2.5) using Openldap for its config with success.
> I'm trying to assign Static IP's using Option 82 instead of the MAC address
> but running into problems.
> I can see some discussion regarding Option 82 and LDAP from years ago but
> nothing recently.
> Has anyone had any experience with Option 82 IP assignment and LDAP ?

I had a deeper look at getting host-identifier support added into ldap a bit more than a year ago.

The ldap lookups all seem rooted into the code that checks the hardware address. So just changing the
search filters would not do the trick.

To get host-identifier support into ldap one would have to duplicate the function that searches
for host-identifier and add different ldap hooks in there.

I also noticed the ldap lookups always only returned the first match so you could not have the
same hardware address in multiple networks as the text configuration allows.

Cleaning up all this and getting ldap on par with the text configuration for anything but a couple
of trivial cases would be possible but a larger effort.

I then moved to OMAPI with my project and added host-identifier support to OMAPI.

Not sure what ISC is planning to do with dhcp after the effort to tightly integrate a database
backend to bind.  As dhcp is often tightly integrated with dns integrating their backends might
be a good idea.

Greetings
Christian

> thanks.
>
> Matt.

Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2
Phone:   +49 7032 893 997 - 0          D-71126 Gaeufelden
Fax:     +49 7032 893 997 - 9          HRB 245288, Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Web:     http://www.cksoft.de/         Geschaeftsfuehrer: Christian Kratzer