dhcpack instead dhcpnak

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Tue May 28 17:17:10 UTC 2013

If the client already has the lease and it is requesting a renew then
they DHCP server will acknowledge the renew request and the client
will continue to use the address indefinitely, as far as the DHCP
server is concerned the leases file says the client has a lease for
that IP address and will skip looking at the config part. Only if the
lease has expired and the client performs a DHCPDISCOVER will the DHCP
server look at the configuration and give the client the different
address.

You can't really prevent this other than don't change the IP address
to another address in the same subnet. The workaround is that you will
need to force the client to release it's current IP address then
request a new address.