DHCPv6 Server-Intiated DDNS Updates for SLAAC Clients

Neff, Glen glen.neff at emc.com
Mon Jun 24 17:10:44 UTC 2013

I'm trying to build an environment where IPv6 clients boot, configure themselves with a proper stateless-autoconfig IP, based on the advertised prefix from the router, which is also configured to tell clients to make a DHCPv6 query for additional network information.  I would then like the DHCPv6 server to update a Dynamic-DNS zone based on the hostname provided by the client.

Is this possible for stateless IPv6 clients?

I've got the clients getting their DNS server, DNS domain, and DNS domain search list from the DHCPv6 server, but so far I can't get dhcpd to attempt a DDNS update.

Will this be possible without having the dhcpd issuing IPs from a scope?

-G

/*
 * Glen R. J. Neff
 * USD Lab Operations Infrastructure Team
 * glen.neff at emc.com
 *
 * EMC^2 == E^2
 */