Fixed IP assignment in presence of colliding MAC addresses.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jun 5 20:11:47 UTC 2013

Igor Ganichev wrote:
> Simon, the "virtual environment" is somewhat complex to describe. We would like to have one dhcp server serve multiple logical L2 networks that can have hosts with equal mac addresses.

I can see how that can happen. The "proper" answer is to fix the management system to ensure unique addresses. Personally I manaually set MAC addresses on my guests - and I monitor for MAC-IP assignments with Nagios to detect rogue devices*. However my colleagues running the Windows servers refuse to fix theirs so I have to update my monitoring every time they reboot a server :(

* It's an "interesting" problem to diagnose when there are two devices with the same IP address.