Fixed IP assignment in presence of colliding MAC addresses.

Igor Ganichev iganichev at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 23:30:55 UTC 2013

Hello,

We are thinking of using dhcpd in a virtualized environment where multiple
hosts behind different interfaces can have the same mac address. I could
not find a simple way to assign different IP addresses to them.

One way I see is to use dhcprelay (run it on the same box, next to dhcpd)
and have it add the agent.circuit_id option. Then, I can use "option
agent.circuit_id foo-bar" in the host declaration in dhcpd.conf to identify
this host.

Is there a simpler way, without having to run dhcprelay?

Thanks,
Igor