Keep hosts Mac address

Prunk Dump prunkdump at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 16:22:24 UTC 2013

2013/12/5 Shawn Routhier <sar at isc.org>:

> On Dec 5, 2013, at 4:22 AM, Prunk Dump wrote:
>
> 2013/12/4 David Forrest <drf at maplepark.com>:
>
> On Wed, 4 Dec 2013, Prunk Dump wrote:
>

> Thanks !
>
> This is exactly what I want ! But I need to keep the built-in version
> of the DNS update. In the documentation It is say to copy the script
> of the top of the server/dhcpd.c file in the commit event. But I can
> read this in the source code :
>

> /* This stuff is always executed to figure the default values for certain
>   ddns variables. */
>
> char std_nsupdate [] = "                            \n\
> option server.ddns-hostname =                            \n\
>  pick (option fqdn.hostname, option host-name);                \n\
> option server.ddns-domainname =    config-option domain-name;            \n\
> option server.ddns-rev-domainname = \"in-addr.arpa.\";";
>

> /* This is the old-style name service updater that is executed
>   whenever a lease is committed.  It does not follow the DHCP-DNS
>   draft at all. */
>
> char old_nsupdate [] = "                            \n\
> on commit {
> ....}
> "
>

> The comments say that is the old style DNS updater. This means that it
> will not be executed ?  I need to copy this old_nsupdate code ? Will
> this change the built-in DDNS behavior ?
>

> Where can I find a example configuration file ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> PELLEGRIN Baptiste.
>

> The version of DDNS that uses the configuration language is the one
> selected by using ad-hoc as the argument to ddns-update-style.  This
> is old and has been deprecated in 4.2.x.  You should be using interim
> instead.
>
> Shawn

I already use the interim ddns update style. So if I use the events to
store the mac adresses in a database the DDNS will still works right ?

I am worried because in the dhcpd.conf man page I could read :

"Events are used to implement DNS updates, so you should not define
your own event handlers if you are using the built-in DNS update
mechanism."

Who is right ?

Baptiste.