DHCP "static" assignments

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Aug 7 21:09:55 UTC 2013

On 08/07/2013 01:39 PM, Gregory Sloop wrote:
> Here's the effect I want...
>
> I want the DHCP server to hand out specific IP's to specific MAC
> addresses, [as defined in the host record.]
>
> They're static DHCP assignments, not static IP clients.
> ---
> i.e. I want 10.0.0.10 to get assigned*via the DHCP server*  to the
> host with MAC Address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
>
> Also, I'm assigning via DHCP addresses from 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.20 to
> anyone who asks via DHCP.

Best practice in this case is to reserve (administratively) a segment of
the network for reservations so that you do not have split the pool(s)
around them. So assuming that your .10 address is the last one of your
reservations, you would start your pool at .11.

If that's not possible for whatever reason, then what Chris Buxton
described in his message at 1:57 pm Pacific time will work. (That is,
you do not need to, and in fact should not, include pools for your dhcp
reserved addresses.)

hope this helps,

Doug