Problems with DHCP lease file cleaning and size

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Fri Aug 2 14:35:01 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Mohan Kannekanti wrote:
<snipp/>
> - Is there any mechanism in dhcpd which rewrite (like it does in when it
> starts) the lease file after some period?? If so, What is the period and Is
> there any way to give this in conf file??
if you are disturbed by the growing lease file and you have a relatively
small environment I guess you just might regularly restart the dhcpd
which would then cleanup and compress the logfile.

Although on the other hand having a lease time of 20s in a production
network is insanely low.

> - Is there any way to keep limit on number of connections for an subnet??

not sure what you mean with connections in this context.

> - will there be any problem if we keep limit on number of entries to log in
> lease file and when limit is reached start writing (overriding) from
> beginning?? (similar to dmesg in kernel)

As others already mentioned this is not how it works.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2