Configuring DHCP Server with Infiniband

Malek Musleh malek.musleh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 14:07:17 UTC 2013

Hi Hal,

Do you know where I can retrieve those patches? It doesn't quite make sense
why there IS some Infiniband support code, such as for parsing (parse.c)
and token (con flax.c) in the code, but not all of it.

Reading the parts of the OFED documentation says this:

> 3. IPoIB Configuration Based on DHCP

> Setting an IPoIB interface configuration based on DHCP (v3.0.4 which is
> available via www.isc.org) is performed similarly to the configuration of
> Ethernet interfaces. In other words, you need to make sure that IPoIB
> configuration files include the following line:
>    For RedHat:
>    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>    For SLES:
>    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> Note: If IPoIB configuration files are included, ifcfg-ib<n> files will be
> installed under:
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ on a RedHat machine
> /etc/sysconfig/network/ on a SuSE machine
>
> Note: Two patches for DHCP are required for supporting IPoIB. The patch
files
> for DHCP v3.0.4 are available under the docs/dhcp/ directory.
>
> Standard DHCP fields holding MAC addresses are not large enough to
contain an
> IPoIB hardware address. To overcome this problem, DHCP over InfiniBand
messages
> convey a client identifier field used to identify the DHCP session. This
client
> identifier field can be used to associate an IP address with a client
identifier
> value, such that the DHCP server will grant the same IP address to any
client
> that conveys this client identifier.

I don't see how to download an older version (3.0.4 vs. 4.2.5) nor is there
a /doc/dhcp/ folder in 4.2.5 that holds patches.

Malek