DHCPv6 client classification based on DUID.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 07:05:20 UTC 2012

Christian Bösch wrote:

>>I know almost nothing about 802.11x, but I
>>can't help thinking it just moves the problem.
>>I'm assuming any certificate would be stored in
>>storage managed by the OS - which for devices
>>capable of PXE booting is fairly likely to be
>>disk (or a network volume mounted in much the
>>same way). Thus the network boot client still
>>won't have access to it without there being
>>system wide and environment agnostic storage
>>for it.
>>

>Intel's vPro Technology does this:
>http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2008/v12i4/5-paper/4-embedded-2.htm

Interesting, but hardly ubiquitous.
Until it's ubiquitous (or at least very widely
available) then it's not a great deal of use in
the general case. Until it's useful to support
it, it's not going to be widely supported by
software. Until it's supported by software, it's
of little use and there'll be little demand. And
so round and round we go.

Same goes for system wide DUID support. What
would be ideal would be if **EVERY** device came
with a system wide DUID pre-assigned at the
factory, easily available to every environment/OS
the system runs, marked on the device ID label
and marked on the packaging (like the MAC address
quite often is now). That would eliminate all
these discussions about what is and isn't a good
identifier.

So *all* that's needed is to define a standard
for it, persuade every hardware manufacturer to
support it, and persuade every software vendor to
support it :-/

--
Simon Hobson