How to trigger a DNS update?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri May 11 15:10:47 UTC 2012

John Hascall wrote:

>We have a "NetReg" system that builds a dhcpd.conf file.
>One of the things IT admins like to do is rename hosts.
>So, version N of the config file might have:
>
>host 0f1f9faf2fcc {
>         hardware ethernet 0f:1f:9f:af:2f:cc;
>         ddns-hostname "jo-blah";
>         ddns-domainname "admin.iastate.edu";
>         option domain-name "admin.iastate.edu";
>}
>
>and version N+1 might have:
>
>host 0f1f9faf2fcc {
>         hardware ethernet 0f:1f:9f:af:2f:cc;
>         ddns-hostname "joe-blah";
>         ddns-domainname "admin.iastate.edu";
>         option domain-name "admin.iastate.edu";
>}
>
>Not unexpectedly, when dhcpd is restarted with this new config file,
>this doesn't actually cause DHCP to change the hostname in DNS.
>It doesn't even appear that it happens when the lease is renewed.

Correct. The default is that these names will not be added at all by
the DHCP server - but there's an option (whose name I don't recall)
to do updates for static assignments (but then it does updates for
every time the address is leased/renewed. The DHCP server will never
remove any of these names.

You would be better getting your management system to do the DNS updates.

--
Simon Hobson