Enabling DHCPd listen on dynamically generated interfaces

Shankar Bhat shankarbhatm at gmail.com
Tue May 1 13:16:10 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've a Debian box serving various services, and one of them is ISC DHCP
4.1.x.

On this box, I've many 'dynamically' generated interfaces, one for each
remote client. I.e as and when remote clients come online, I'll have
interfaces created for them on my box.

Wanted to know how best to serve DHCP on these dynamically generated
interfaces ?.

I tried /etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server restart and reload options and they
work fine...but my concerns are:

1. I've reasonable number (say, 200) of remote clients and if ONE of them
flap, I'll end up automatically reload/restart of dhcp service on my Debian.
Would this impact dhcp services on existing interfaces ?

2. What is the precise difference between "/etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server
restart and reload options" ?. Am inclined for 'reload', but would love to
hear from community.

3. Are there any other/ better ways to address above scenarios ?

Kindly advise.

Thank You,
Shanks