Wrong Ip address to the client

Ruzsinszky Attila ruzsinszky.attila at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 09:06:53 UTC 2012

> He didn't ask for anything from the client, he asked for a grep of that IP
> address from your leases file on the server.
OK. Sorry. I misunderstood.
Tomorrow I'll send the result.

> As it happens now, none of it. But normally the answer is all of it - though
> you can cut other subnets or lots of unrelated host statements etc. The
> issue is that if you don't know what the problem is, then you don't know
> what's important - so people have a tendency to cut out bits that they think
> are unimportant but which in fact give vital clues.
Yes, you're right. My dhcpd.conf is long and full of unrelated subnet
definitions.
In my opinion...

>>  > Is there anything else in the logs for 192.168.52.187 ?
>> No. Nothing special.
>

> I didn't ask if there was anything you thought special, I asked if there was
> anything.
OK.

> And from earlier :
>
>> DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.52.187 (192.168.52.140) from 60:d8:19:4d:3d:5e via
>> eth0: lease 192.168.52.187 unavailable
>

> This line says that the lease was offered by 192.168.52.187 (hence why I
> asked what IP address your server has). Your AP is running a rogue DHCP
> server (very easy mistake to make) - turn it off and things will sort
> themselves out.
AP is Linksys box on which is running DD-Wrt software and I'm sure I disabled
the internal DHCP server. I'll check it again.

> Probably what's happening is that the AP is getting it's responses in first.
> So after a DHCP-Discover, the AP's offer arrives first. The client then
> requests this, but the AP's DHCP-Ack arrives before your server's DHCP-NAck
> and so the client configures itself with the "wrong" address.
I don't think so but I'll check the DD-Wrt's DHCP server status.

You're right the problem is maybe related to AP because all
problematic IP is asked
over WLAN.

TIA,
Ruzsi