why am I seeing update denied in Bind9 logs for dhcp clients ?

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Mar 2 13:06:45 UTC 2012

You need to add this to the appropriate scope (usually global):

ignore client-updates;

The reasons are explained inthe dhcpdconf manpage in the section titled
"THE INTERIM DNS UPDATE SCHEME". Essentially it sends an option to the
client to tell it that the server will do the DNS updates, rather than the
client.

There are some extra details, but they are covered in the man page.

regards,
-glenn