Trouble with failover peer specifications

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Mon Jun 18 15:18:15 UTC 2012

This is to alert others to two things I've tripped over while preparing to
introduce failover.  My experience is with release 4.2.4; I have no reason
to make assumptions (either way) about earlier versions.

First, configuring a failover peer specification without any corresponding
reference from a pool specification causes dhcpd to exit after re-writing
the leases database file.  This is a nuisance for me, as I find it useful
to pre-provision configuration elements on which multiple other elements
are expected to depend.

Second, and much more seriously, test mode (the -t option) doesn't catch
this.  This can lead to a nasty surprise for anyone who systematically
uses this mode for validating a configuration before activating it.

I submitted two bug reports a little while ago.

Best regards,

Niall O'Reilly