Host declarations in different ranges within the same subnet

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jun 13 15:40:33 UTC 2012

Marcio Merlone wrote:

>Only one more question: by defining a hw address on a subclass makes
>the host known (deny unknown-clients;) or should I also declare a
>host definition? Or since I have an "allow members of" on the pool
>definition I may allow unknown clientes (which in practice will be
>'known' by the subclass)?

'Known' and 'member of class "foo"' are two separate things.

By doing it with classes, you don't need to bother with
known/unknown. Just use an 'allow members of "foo"' in each pool
where you want members of the class "foo" to be able to get an
address and it'll do it for you. Members of the class will be given
access, anything that's not a member will not.

Whenever you use an allow (or deny), there is an implicit deny (or
allow). So once you've allowed members of a class, then everything
else is implicitly denied. Don't mix allow and deny - they don't work
as most people expect, and I can't remember how it works even though
it's been explained several times over the years !

If you want a separate pool for all clients not in any of the
classes, then yo do it like this :

pool {
   range ...
   deny members of "foo";
   deny members of "bar";
}
You need to list all the classes you've allowed elsewhere in the deny
list. Any not denied will be implicitly allowed.

--
Simon Hobson