dhcpd.leases question

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Jun 5 13:28:40 UTC 2012

On 06/05/12 23:10, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> On 06/05/12 22:26, Nicolás Valera wrote:
>> Hi, sorry about my ignorance but, what does it means "rewind binding
>> state free;" in dhcpd.leses file?
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Nix.
>
> Hi Nicolás
>
> The dhcpd.leases man age describes the format of the leases file.
>
> binding state state; next binding state state;
>
> The binding state statement declares the lease's binding
> state. When the DHCP server is not configured to use the
> failover protocol, a lease's binding state will be either
> active or free. The failover protocol adds some additional
> transitional states, as well as the backup state, which
> indicates that the lease is available for allocation by the
> failover secondary.
>
> A binding state of "active" means there is a client using this
> particular lease now.
>
> A state of "free" means there is no client using this lease at the
> moment and it is available to be given out by the server.

Sorry about that - it would be helpful if I read the question a bit more
closely!

Rewind binding state is used in failover. If the two servers go into
communications-interrupted mode where they lose contact with each other,
normally a particular server can only hand out new leases from it's
share of the free pool. The idea is to allow it to reset the binding
state of a lease so that it can re-issue the IP address. This is a
fairly complex optimisation of the failover conditions which would not
occur in normal operation and only rarely if failover situations, so it
is something you shouldn't worry about too much.

--
regards,
-glenn