Fwd: Query on Usage of ISC DHCP Server

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Tue Jan 31 20:36:18 UTC 2012

> If in case there is a relay agent in between the DHCP server and the
> client, and let say DHCP server and the DHCP client are in the same subnet
> and the relay agent is in the different subnet, with what ip address will
> the DHCP request from the relay agent  be identified  by the DHCP server?
> Will  the request packet be identified with the clients ip or the relay
> agent's ip?

    With respect, I think you need to go back and review the basics of
how DHCP works.

    The situation you propose is impossible. A relay that is not on the
same network as the client CANNOT be "in between the DHCP server and the
client" (where "network" is defined as an ethernet broadcast domain). The
relay will not see the client's broadcast traffic. More importantly, if
the client does not yet have a valid IP address, replies must be sent
back via layer 2 (broadcast or unicast to the client's ethernet address);
something a relay on another network cannot do.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
ITS, Networks and Systems		|