DHCP via PPP and prefix delegation ...

Matt Bryant matt at the-bryants.net
Wed Feb 22 22:43:52 UTC 2012

All,

Was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction here ... I
am with an ISP that uses DHVPv6 for prefix delegation

a dual stack pppd session assigns a dynamic /64 prefix for PPP session
and a static /56 prefix for LAN (with Prefix Delegation)

Bow I know the standard version of code currently doesnt support DHCP
over ppp is this likely to be addressed in a soon to be released version ??

I have tried the 4.1.1 ppp patch that I found on this list

https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/attachments/20100426/9deb431f/attachment.bin

but queit frankly get some wierd ass behaviour in that sometimes I get
'Failure assembling a DUID.', other times I juts get it trying to Rebind
and messges

Feb 22 21:33:53 stargate dhclient: suspect value in dhcp6_domain_search
option - discarded

Feb 22 21:33:53 stargate dhclient: PRC: Prefix 2001:44b8:211f:4c00::/56
depreferred.

and yet other times I get a reply and  global address assigned to eth0
but thats about it ......

Anyhow is there any howto for PD ? ie what should the dhclient.conf hold
?? There's doco on an alternate dhcpv6 client namely wide-dhcp

ie
interface ppp0 {
     send ia-pd 0;
     script "/etc/wide-dhcpv6/dhcp6c-script";
};

id-assoc pd {
     prefix-interface eth0 {
         sla-id 0;
         sla-len 8;
     };
};

but can find not real documentation on how it would be set up under ISC
version of dhcp .. ?

Anyhelp appreciated ...

rgds

Matt B.