DHCP Failover and Performance

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 19:21:33 UTC 2012

The performance goal of the failover protocol was to have two servers perform nearly as fast as one. That is, the failover protocol itself should impose not much more than a 50% penalty on per-box performance.

In my experience, the performance of a failover pair can range from about 70% to about 130% of that of a single box with the same config, with the variation based apparently on DDNS configuration. Without DDNS, it appears to usually come in around 130%.

When you say "dramatic effect", what exactly do you mean? Can you be more specific?

Regards,
Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks