DHCP Failover and Performance

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Wed Feb 22 15:35:54 UTC 2012

On 22 Feb 2012, at 09:13, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Did you do anything with logging ? There's a lot of logging going on, and a big performance gain can be had by making logging async (typically by prepending the log file name with "-" in your syslog config.

	Absolutely.

	What Simon says is an understatement.
	Misconfigured logging will kill your DHCP service.

	If the DHCP server is running on a Linux box, the 'top'
	command will show (among much else) what the average
	IO wait per core is.  If this is high (remaining over 10%,
	for example), I'ld suggest it's worth identifying what the
	cause is and probably taking some remedial action.

	That said, this thread has alerted me to at least one of
	our boxes which seems to need attention, although it appears
	to be delivering a satisfactory service.  -- Thanks!

	Best regards
	Niall O'Reilly