Issue with dhcpd6 and range6

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Mon Feb 20 16:45:30 UTC 2012

"David Highley wrote:"

> "Chuck Anderson wrote:"
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 09:33:52AM -0800, David Highley wrote:
> > > This is the first effort to set up an IPV6 network. Trying to implement
> > > the equivalent of a 10.2.2.0 network. Name services work both forward
> > > and reverse and static dhcp addresses are not complained about. Just do
> > > not seem to be able to get the dynamic addresses to work.
> >
> > There isn't a direct equivalent to RFC 1918 for IPv6, but you can use
> > ULA instead, RFC 4193.
> >

> > > subnet6 fe80::a02:200/120 {
> > >     range6 fe80::a02:241 fe80::a02:254;
> >
> > You probably shouldn't be handing out link-local fe80:: addresses with
> > DHCPv6.  Each client needs a link-local address generated by means
> > other than DHCPv6 in order to use DHCPv6 (i.e. before DHCPv6 is
> > started), so it is somewhat of a chicken/egg problem.  See RFC 3315
> > sections 1.1 and 16.

After further thought the chicken or egg issue does not exist as all
IPV6 devices come up with an auto created link-local address which would
be used to query dhcp where it can be given another static link-local
address. The only way it would exist is if the device did not do a query
to see if a dhcp server is trying to give it an additional address.