Static Leases do not work

Jeff Waller jeffw at cnxntech.com
Thu Feb 2 19:04:36 UTC 2012

I'm not sure this is what he is angling for.  I think what he wants is some directive that
once a lease is given out to a mac address that matches a particular let's say class,
that IP address is never given out to another mac address until it is revoked.  I think
this is a not met by the suggestions so far.

Some important aspects:

1) He doesn't want to deal with the administrative hassle of defining a list of mac addresses,
so "host" or "subclass" declarations can not be used

2) He doesn't want to deal with the minutia of having to edit the .conf file each time a new
MAC is recognized.

What would happen if you set the lease time in a pool for these devices to infinity?  I think this would
work for you, but if the client released the lease (which is something that clients are allowed to do)
then if would become free.

Perhaps a new directive available at various scopes:

client-release-ignored

So how do get rid of a lease once you know you need to.  You could edit the leases file and restart, or
more elegantly use OMAPI and forcibly set the lease expire time to now.