Static Leases do not work

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 12:43:16 UTC 2012

Küppers, Malte wrote:
>... because the addresses defined are given out
>to dynamic clients again (A side effect of
>mixing static and dynamic range).

Which is why any dtatic assignments must **NOT** be part of any dynamic range.

>Then I simply tried giving the lease the
>"reserved" state, which also worked fine, but
>the reserved lease does not appear in
>dhcpd.leases file after a while an so I guess it
>is not persistently stored? Whats the difference
>between reserved and static ?

Static assignments are where you put a
fixed-address statement in a host declaration.
These are processed differently to normal leases
- no dynamic DNS, no lease record, etc.
A reserved lease is just a normal lease which has
been set as reserved to a specific client - it
will not be reallocated even when long expired.
It *should* appear in teh leases file.

>I just want a single IP range where leases can
>be dynamically made static and keep that IPŠ Any
>ideas?

Either method shoudl work.
Either used fixed-address statements and do not
include the fixed address in any dynamic range.
Or set a dynamic lease to reserved.

--
Simon Hobson