Notice: ISC DHCP 3.1-ESV is End-of-Life on March 1st, 2012

Michael McNally mcnally at isc.org
Wed Feb 1 21:02:23 UTC 2012

To all customers using DHCP 3:

ISC DHCP 3.0 was first released in 2007 and has lived a good long
life. ISC has extended the End-of-Life (EOL) date by over six months
and is now officially announcing ending support on March 1st, 2012
for the last supported version of DHCP 3, DHCP 3.1-ESV
(Extended Support Version.)  There will not be any further bug or
security fixes after this date. The currently supported versions
of the software are available on our DHCP versions page,
http://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/versions

ISC DHCP version 4 offers several advantages over version 3, including:

    IPv6 support
    performance improvements for busy servers
    improved failover protocol
    support for more host operating systems
    code updated for compliance with modern compilers
    Support for the rapid-commit option on the client side
    Prefix Delegation support
    many security fixes, bug fixes, and other feature improvements

If your organization requires a long time to upgrade, our recommendation
is to move to ISC's current Extended Support Version (ESV) ISC DHCP
4.1-ESV-R4.  It will be stable and patched only for significant and
applicable bug fixes until December 2014.  No new features will be
back-ported to any ESV release. Read more about our ESV, EOL and
software support policy at http://www.isc.org/softwaresupportpolicy .

Here is an Article in our new KnowledgeBase discussing migration
considerations when upgrading from DHCPv3 to DHCPv4:

   https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00611

If you would like ISC's help in your migration, please contact
sales at isc.org