DDNS for multiple zones

Kyle Johnson kjohnson at fixertec.net
Wed Dec 5 16:47:38 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to configure a failover DHCP solution with DDNS and am
running into an issue with isc-dhcpd version 4.1.1.  The issue seems to be
that if the ddns-domainname option is not configured in dhcpd.conf, the
DDNS update is not sent to the DNS server for any zone.  That is, with
ddns-domainame commented out, dhcpd does not attempt to do any type of DDNS
updates.

Configuring a single ddns-domainname will not work as we have multiple
zones, each for a different domain.  For this to work, I imagine that the
client (e.g. ESXi hosts, linux and windows servers) would need to send a
FQDN, which the DHCP server would then need to use when sending the DDNS
update to the DNS server.

What is the correct way to configure both DHCP and my clients to allow DDNS
to work for multiple zones (domains)?

Thanks,
Kyle