dhclient: lease renewal woes

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 29 15:31:33 UTC 2012

>> How? I know all of the parameters you listed above as they've never
>> changed (and I am with this provider close to 10 years now), but I
>> also need my own (i.e. my firewall's) IP address when I get it from
>> my provider (and this IP address changes from time to time, so it is
>> not a constant), so how am I going to pull that one off?
>
> You surprise me. If the modem is the DHCP server in your network, then
> the modem LAN IP address, usually 192.168.0.1 or so, should be your
> firewall/gateway address.
No, that is not the case. My firewall address is a public address and
not a private one. My firewall gateway address is also a public address
and has nothing whatsoever to do with the CM DHCP server address. My
firewall's IP address, along with the default gateway are on the same
(vast public) network of my provider, BUT this network is not part of
the CM's IP address. Does that make sense?

Here by "firewall" I mean the machine which is directly connected to the
CM and uses it to obtain the DHCP lease (for that public IP address). On
that same machine I also have 6 other interfaces - all internal -
through which I route traffic.