DHCPDISCOVER Ignored by Server?

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 22:20:29 UTC 2012

On Aug 24, 2012, at 2:29 PM, Jiann-Ming Su wrote:

> I'm running dhcpd 3.0.5 (old, I know), but we just observed a weird behavior.  A Windows XP device's DHCPDISCOVERs are being completely ignored by our dhcp server.  No offers are sent in response.  I did a quick packet capture, and the only obvious thing I see is option 50 is requesting the self assigned 169.254.x.y address.  Seems like this shouldn't matter at all.  Is there a known bug with the old 3.0.5 dhcpd, or is there another reason the server is simply not responding to those discovers?

Is your server authoritative? That is, does it say "authoritative;" anywhere in the config file? If not, I believe that would be the reason. The client is requesting an unknown address, but the server is not behaving with authority, and therefore doesn't squash this attempted renewal.

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks