DDNS handling of "dumb" DHCP clients

Malte Starostik lists at malte.homeip.net
Thu Aug 9 13:12:29 UTC 2012

Am Donnerstag, 9. August 2012, 13:45:32 schrieb Simon Hobson:
> Uwe Meyer-Gruhl wrote:
> >There should be no need for a DHCP client to know its IP nor its DNS
> >handle before it gets them from the DHCP server (nor to report it
> >back via the FQDN option).

Right, but you can have the DHCP server assign a static address - so from the
device's POV it's just a regular DHCP lease (while not really a lease for
dhcpd).  When using the DNS name in the corresponding host declaration all you
need is change the DNS record, restart dhcpd and on next request the deivce
will get the new IP.  Nothing the client needs to know.

> OK, I see where you are - I've always preferred to keep printers on a
> static address because there is (or was) too much hassle having them
> dynamic.

Right, but IMHO it's pretty convenient to use a server assigned static address
as noted above.

> As I say, you're in ground I don't cover so I'm a bit limited in what
> to suggest. I don't recall ever having problem like you describe
> though.
>
> There is another option that may be relevant, you'll have to look it
>
> up and work that out for yourself :
> >   use-host-decl-names
> >
> >If  the  use-host-decl-names  parameter  is true in a given scope,
> >then for every host declaration within that scope, the name provided
> >for the host declaration will be supplied to the client  as  its
> >hostname.

Yep, we've got

group printers {
  use-host-decl-names on;
}

with the respective hosts in it.  Works great.

Regards,
Malte