Serving two subnets on same VLAN

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com
Sat Sep 24 21:24:10 UTC 2011

The approach that I took years ago for this problem was to enclose the subnet declarations inside a network declaration.  I then used a class identifier to determine which DHCP IP address range to use for the device.  I also had to use pool declarations so that I could have access controls to restrict address allocations to members of a class.

On 24 Sep 2011, at 12:53 , Norman Elton wrote:

> Assume that a router is configured with three interfaces:
>
> 10.0.1.1/24 (primary interface)
> 192.168.1.1/24 (secondary interface)
> 192.168.2.1/24 (secondary interface)
>
> The router is configured to be a DHCP relay; however, only sends
> requests from its primary interface (10.0.1.1). Therefore, the DHCP
> server only responds with addresses from that pool. However, clients
> can access the network via either of the secondary interfaces if they
> had a proper address.
>
> Is there a way to configure the DHCP server to recognize that requests
> relayed by 10.0.1.1 can be fulfilled by IP address from all three
> pools?
>
> Hope this makes sense, thanks!
>
> Norman

Merton Campbell Crockett