Duplicated leases, same IP and same MAC

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 18:18:02 UTC 2011

<arun.sasi1 at wipro.com> wrote:

>Could you check Windows machine with RAS (Remote
>Access Service) enabled or notŠ if it is
>enabled, disable it from DHCP server or stop the
>service and renew the IP..

It's nothing at all to do with that. In that
case, you can clearly see the client-id the
Windows box sends which starts with "RAS ". That
isn't present in these leases.

carlos jorge wrote :

>Today i was looking into the lease file and
>found something that i think that should not
>happen.
>In the lease file i found 2 leases with the same
>IP and MAC, to one par IP MAC there should exist
>just one lease right?
>

>lease 10.43.11.92 {
>   starts 2 2011/09/20 14:57:21;
>   ends 2 2011/09/20 22:57:21;
>   tstp 3 2011/09/21 02:57:21;
>   tsfp 2 2011/09/20 22:57:22;
>   cltt 2 2011/09/20 14:57:21;
>   binding state active;
>   next binding state expired;
>   hardware ethernet 00:40:ca:a4:3f:be;
>   set ddns-txt = "0097558cd8aa1f47ff41f956ea212c89b8";
>   set ddns-fwd-name = "00:40:ca:a4:3f:be.teste.t";
>   client-hostname "T5413";
>}
>

>lease 10.43.11.92 {
>   starts 2 2011/09/20 14:57:21;
>   ends 2 2011/09/20 22:57:21;
>   tstp 3 2011/09/21 02:57:21;
>   tsfp 3 2011/09/21 02:57:21;
>   atsfp 3 2011/09/21 02:57:21;
>   cltt 2 2011/09/20 14:57:21;
>   binding state active;
>   next binding state expired;
>   hardware ethernet 00:40:ca:a4:3f:be;
>   set ddns-txt = "0097558cd8aa1f47ff41f956ea212c89b8";
>   set ddns-fwd-name = "00:40:ca:a4:3f:be.teste.t";
>   client-hostname "T5413";
>}
>

>After some minutes the file only had one.
>
>i tested with omshell and i saw the error:
>can't open object: more than one object matches key
>
>Witch means that in memory structure in DHCPd there are more 2 leases
>
>The version that i m running is  3.1.3, is this
>the normal behavior? or its a bug? it's
>corrected in newer versions?

It's normal to have more than one lease for a
client/IP. The leases file is a "log file" - all
updates are done by appending a new entry on the
end and so it's normal to have multiple entries -
though I'm surprised to see them with exactly the
same timestamp.

Periodically (once an hour by default, I believe
to change it means altering the source and
recompiling) the server will write a new lease
file containing only the last lease status as
held in memory to a new file and swap it with the
old leases file. Thus once an hour, the file is
cleaned up and initially will only contain one
record for each lease/IP.
Note that the only time the lease file is read is
at service startup. During startup, the server
reads each lease record and builds an in-memory
record of the last status. AT all other times,
the lease file is only written as an on-disk
backup.

--
Simon Hobson