DHCPD performance -- solid-state disks?

Ray DeJean ray at selu.edu
Fri Sep 9 16:26:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM, <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote:

> What do you do if the dhcpd process dies? Or the server loses power?
>
> I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of basing everything on
> ramdisk. The fsync in dhcpd is there for a reason...

Our dhcp service has experienced more downtime due to I/O load than it ever
has due to dhcpd/OS crashes or power outages.  dhcpd is in general very
reliable.  Couple that with a stable OS (we use CentOS), good server
hardware and reliable power (UPS, Generator).  I agree it is a tradeoff...
but it's worked well for us.

--
Ray DeJean
Systems Engineer