Diferent dhcp relay

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 07:20:42 UTC 2011

André wrote:

>I tryed doing
>class "c3" {
>
>match if binary-to-ascii(10, 16, "", substring(
>option agent.circuit-id,2 ,2)) = "99" and
>      (
>      binary-to-ascii(10, 16, "", substring(
>option agent.circuit-id,2 ,2)) != "65" and
>
>      binary-to-ascii(10, 16, "", substring(
>option agent.circuit-id,2 ,2)) != "1"
>      );

You do realise that if a=99, then by definition a!=65 and a!=1 don't you ?
Also, when matching a substring, "1" will never
ever match a 2 character string - "1" != "01" and
"1" != " 1".

Perhaps I misled you by not noticing this mutual
exclusion earlier, but you need enough to make
each class used in a pool mutually exclusive - so
you don't need to mix allow and deny within one
pool.

>allow members of "c3";
>allow members of "online";
>deny members of "CM";

This is still mixing allow and deny in one pool.
It probably won't do what you expect.

I know there are people on here running CM setups
(I'm not), hopefully one of them will chirp up
because from seeing threads in the past, I'm sure
it wasn't as hard as you seem to be trying to
make it. I think they were probably using vendor
class IDs to differentiate between their kit, the
CMs, and end user kit.

Peter Rathlev wrote:
>  > > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>>  Let's start judging messages based on content vs. format.  I think that's a
>>  winning strategy, much like we see in life!
>
>But people should keep in mind that the chances of someone wanting to
>answer a question or investigate a problem depends on how much they're
>pampered to.
>When I look at en email that displeases my sense of aesthetics I'm
>inclined to just not answer.
>I see Simon's "preamble" as a kind and humorous way of explaining to a
>new participant how to do things right. He continued with solid advice
>on the problem.

Thank you, yes that's exactly the situation. It's
not just the top posting, but I see it regularly
on lists where the top posters also never trim
what can end up being a LOT of redundant text -
sometimes including a dozen copies of the list
footer !
I have also seen cases where the respondent has
top posted, but then put more in interleaved text
- and I've missed it because I've not seen any
need to scroll down through what appears to be
pages and pages of dross.

It all comes down to people doing their best to
make it easy for people to help them.
I'm with ESR on this :
People are free to ignore that advice, but then
I'll feel free to not put the effort in to
helping them. In a lot of cases it's just that
they've never had this explained to them - so I
try to give people the benefit of the doubt and
give them a humorous pointer to the errors of top
posting.

--
Simon Hobson