Option 50 in failover mode

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Nov 28 11:20:44 UTC 2011

Hi Bob

I think there are two different ideas of "hands off" failover. It's true
that the failover protocol has been around for a long time, and I recall
running it myself in the early 2000s. But while that protocol
automatically handled failure of one system it was not entirely hands off.
The surviving dhcp server would only allocate new IPs from it's share of
the pool. If the pool didn't have enough spare IPs to handle all the
clients then eventually it would run out of addresses to allocate. Back in
those days it was a design feature that the surviving server had to be
manually put into "partner down" mode. In partner down mode the surviving
server could allocate IP addresses from the entire pool and thus run
without running out of addresses.

In one of the recent versions was a feature for automatic partner down
after a defined period of time. In this case the surviving server switches
to partner down and can run without running out of addresses. This is what
others have termed "hands off".

regards,
-glenn