Persistent DUID (DHCP Unique Identifier) for Server

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Nov 25 19:21:50 UTC 2011

Ted Lemon wrote:

>Of course, there are also manufacturers that do not actually ensure
>that their addresses are unique.   When you block out the enterprise
>ID, it's not *that* many devices.

And those that do try to do it properly can get it wrong.

An acquaintance told me how, when he was refreshing several labs
worth of desktops, had some "interesting" problems. Eventually he
realised that for every 257 machines, the manufacturers (Dell) had
used 256 MAC addresses - 2 of the machine sin each batch had
duplicate MACs. Of course this would normally not be a problem as the
chances of buying the 2 machines were very slim - but they'd bought
several thousand in one batch !

--
Simon Hobson