query regarding isc dhcpv6 client and server

Jiri Popelka jpopelka at redhat.com
Fri Nov 25 14:38:45 UTC 2011

On 11/24/2011 07:23 AM, ameen.shajahan at wipro.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>                 I need one info about ISC DHCPV6 usage.
>
>                 Running server in linux box (RHEL 5.4)
>
>                 Server is listening . I got below output in server side
>

> # /usr/sbin/dhcpd -6 -f -cf /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf eth1
>
> Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.1.0

> I have downloadeddhcp-4.2.3.tar.gz in ISC SITE and copied to my client
> and server.

Hi,

I think the easiest way how to get working dhcp-4.1.x on RHEL-5 is to
recompile my source rpm [1]:

- download http://jpopelka.fedorapeople.org/dhcp-4.1.2-5.ESV.R3.el5.src.rpm
- yum install rpm-build
- rpmbuild --rebuild dhcp-4.1.2-5.ESV.R3.el5.src.rpm
- install RPMs from /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/<arch>/

Then you would probably need to:
- allow dhcpv6 ports in firewall, i.e. 546 for client and 547 for
server. For testing purposes you could also turn whole firewall off with
'service ip6tables stop'
- Do what Scott already suggested, i.e.
   - switch SELinux to permissive mode (as already suggested)
   - specify interface when running dhclient

Jiri Popelka
Red Hat, inc.

[1] https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2011-September/013620.html