QUERY REGARDING ISC DHCP CLIENT AND SERVER

ameen.shajahan at wipro.com ameen.shajahan at wipro.com
Fri Nov 25 11:14:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

	I have downloaded the ISC DHCP 4.2.3 and copied to client and server.I have included the client and server output below.

IN CLIENT SIDE
---------------

[root at localhost sbin]# ./dhclient -6 -d
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.3
Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Bound to *:546
Listening on Socket/eth0
Sending on   Socket/eth0
PRC: Soliciting for leases (INIT).
XMT: Forming Solicit, 0 ms elapsed.
XMT:  X-- IA_NA 17:be:6f:b8
XMT:  | X-- Request renew in  +3600
XMT:  | X-- Request rebind in +5400
XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 1080ms.
XMT: Forming Solicit, 1080 ms elapsed.
XMT:  X-- IA_NA 17:be:6f:b8
XMT:  | X-- Request renew in  +3600
XMT:  | X-- Request rebind in +5400
XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 2210ms.
XMT: Forming Solicit, 3290 ms elapsed.
XMT:  X-- IA_NA 17:be:6f:b8
XMT:  | X-- Request renew in  +3600
XMT:  | X-- Request rebind in +5400
XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 4310ms.
XMT: Forming Solicit, 7600 ms elapsed.
XMT:  X-- IA_NA 17:be:6f:b8
XMT:  | X-- Request renew in  +3600
XMT:  | X-- Request rebind in +5400
XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 8980ms.

[root at localhost ~]# pwd
/root
[root at localhost ~]# tail -f /var/log/messages
Nov 26 02:20:46 localhost dhclient: All rights reserved.
Nov 26 02:20:46 localhost dhclient: For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Nov 26 02:20:46 localhost dhclient:
Nov 26 02:20:46 localhost dhclient: Bound to *:546
Nov 26 02:20:46 localhost dhclient: Listening on Socket/eth0
Nov 26 02:20:46 localhost dhclient: Sending on   Socket/eth0
Nov 26 02:20:46 localhost dhclient: XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 1040ms.
Nov 26 02:20:47 localhost dhclient: XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 2060ms.
Nov 26 02:20:49 localhost dhclient: XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 4200ms.
Nov 26 02:20:53 localhost dhclient: XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 8640ms.
Nov 26 02:21:02 localhost dhclient: XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 17070ms.
Nov 26 02:21:19 localhost dhclient: XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 34400ms.
Nov 26 02:21:53 localhost dhclient: XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 65760ms.

IN SERVER SIDE
--------------

[root at localhost sbin]# ifconfig eth0 inet6 add 3ffe:501:ffff:100::/64
[root at localhost sbin]# ./dhcpd -6 -d -cf dhcpd-dhcpv6.conf
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.2.3
Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
Bound to *:547
Listening on Socket/5/eth0/3ffe:501:ffff:100::/64
Sending on   Socket/5/eth0/3ffe:501:ffff:100::/64

My problem
----------

Server is listening on interface(3ffe:501:ffff:100::/64)

Client able to send solicit message.

Server able to receive solicit message from client( have checked using tcpdump command)

But after that there is is no communication between them .

I don't know what is the problem actually.

Please let me know what would be the reason.

I can able to get advertise ,request , response message. I can able to send solicit message solicit message only.

Please provide solution.

Regards,
Ameen S