Persistent DUID (DHCP Unique Identifier) for Server

Madhu Krishna Sandadi msandadi at nvtl.com
Fri Nov 25 06:11:06 UTC 2011

I need one clarity from rfc-3315. It says  from session 9.2 for DUID-LLT

Clients and servers using this type of DUID MUST store the DUID-LLT
in stable storage, and MUST continue to use this DUID-LLT even if the
network interface used to generate the DUID-LLT is removed. Clients
and servers that do not have any stable storage MUST NOT use this
type of DUID.

It says that even if we remove the network interface that used to generate the DUID-LLT.
That means do we need to use the same DUID even if we replace the new network interface card that has new link layer address.

Is my above assumption is correct. Please correct me if anything wrong.

Thanks,
Madhu