Multiple IP for single MAC

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Nov 21 12:19:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-21 at 14:58 +0530, arun.sasi1 at wipro.com wrote:
> I am facing the problem with dhcp....  There is a huge dely for
> getting the IP... arount 5 to 10 minuts... and also I could see the
> lease log as below...
>
> lease 163.183.42.102 {
>   starts 1 2011/11/21 05:10:39;
>   ends 1 2011/11/21 13:10:39;
>   cltt 1 2011/11/21 05:10:39;
>   binding state active;
>   next binding state free;
>   hardware ethernet e0:cb:4e:0a:c3:f9;
>   uid "\001\340\313N\012\303\371";
>   set ddns-txt = "318c15515e9fcae4ccbf37f451874c9cb0";
>   set ddns-fwd-name = "DM-ELECT-SD12.emb.slb.com";
>   client-hostname "DM-ELECT-SD12";
> }
>
> lease 163.183.42.102 {
>   starts 1 2011/11/21 09:11:06;
>   ends 1 2011/11/21 17:11:06;
>   cltt 1 2011/11/21 09:11:06;
[Similar lease data following]

> what could be the reason ... Please help me to resolve this...

These things are not related. That you have two similar leases is
expected, and explained in the very first paragraph of the dhcpd.leases
man page:

  Every time a lease is acquired, renewed or released, its new
  value  is  recorded at the end of the lease file.  So if more
  than one declaration appears for a given lease, the last one
  in the file is the current one.

Your client just renewed its lease.

To figure out what causes the delay you should start by looking at the
log file, searching for lines containing "e0:cb:4e:0a:c3:f9". You might
see something relevant if including context:

 fgrep -C 1 "e0:cb:4e:0a:c3:f9" /var/log/dhcp.log

--
Peter