using IP source address as 'host-identifier'

Peter Grandi pg_dhcp at dhcp.for.sabi.co.UK
Sun Nov 20 15:53:57 UTC 2011

[ ... ]

> That's a deliberate design feature indeed. In so many cases
> with IPv4 what is delivered with DHCP is just host and router
> address adn DNS servers, and that for most IPv6 can be done
> with RA (and if one uses further service discovery options a
> lot more can be autoconfigured), and I guess that "stateless"
> DHCP for the other configuration settings is not as widely
> appreciated as it should be (just as many useful options of
> DHCP for IPv4 are not used either).

So suppose I use 'radvd' to assign IPv6 addresses to interfaces,
and then I want to supply configuration information to the nodes
using "stateless" DHCPv6.

The obvious 'host-identifier' to use for this is (one of) the
IPv6 address of the node just obtained from 'radvd'.

If "stateless" DHCP is a general deliverer of configuration
information it might as well work fully at the IP level, instead
of being still a RARP descendant, and avoiding annoyances like
relays, and using the IP address of the client removes the need
to keep multiple lists of IDs.

Is it possible to get the current ISC DHCP client and server to
do that "easily"? If not, why not?