Help with DHCPv6 client-identifiers

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Sun Nov 20 12:05:54 UTC 2011

On 11/20/2011 11:30 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Ted Lemon wrote:
>
>> But the idea that it's completely inexcusable that we didn't use the
>> MAC address as a host identifier is pretty absurd.
>
> I don't think people are saying you need to use the MAC address as a
> host identifier. But in the absence of anything better, then not
> having it available at all does seem a somewhat retrograde step. The
> fact that (according to a previous post) the cable modem guys are
> standardising an vendor option for MAC address rather demonstrates the
> point - if it's going to end up being used in different options by
> different groups, it would have reduced fragmentation to include it in
> the standard - once.

The DOCSIS 3.0 standard was issued in Aug 2006, and mandated the option
for MAC address in the CableLabs vendor address space. See appendix H.7
of CM-SP-MULPIv3.0-I01-070804

Looking at the more recent issue 15 of this spec we find in 10.2.5.2.3
that the device ID (MAC address) is a mandatory option to be present in
the DHCPv6 solicit.

For those protesting, please keep in mind that one of the security
requirements in the DOCSIS spec is that the end-user can under no
circumstance change the MAC address. This security requirement has been
present since DOCSIS 1.0 spec.